Welcome!

TO PAUSE BULLETIN - PLACE MOUSE POINTER OVER THE SCROLLING MESSAGE BOX

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Region 1 Update, Post Noreastcon Edition

Greetings everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting this out. I've been having problems with my computer. They're still not repaired properly, and I'm send this out from my brothers house. I don't have any numbers to pass on, as they're all in my unit at home. But I'll give it the best shot I can!!
Let me start by thanking Armand and the rest of the Rochester gang for hosting for us this year. They really stepped up to the plate for us, when it seemed our event may not happen. I really appreciate their effort on our behalf.

It seemed the overall numbers were down somewhat this year. I'm sure it was due to Mothers Day weekend. Most of the usual suspects were in attendance, but the overall numbers were still down.

That didn't diminish the quality of the models on the tables however. There were about 350 models on display, and the overall quality was very high. It would seem everyone had been busy over the past winter!! My congratulations to all the winners The vendor rooms held some good deals, and while a little heavy in the armor area, I managed to find some cool stuff.

The business meeting was well attended, with representatives from about 11 or 12 chapters present. We talked a little about the Region 1 Judges List I'm setting up. I added all the judges from this years event to the list, and am still looking for more names. I'll ask all chapters to send me the names, and contact information for all regional and National judges in your chapters. also include what areas they judge, for inclusion. As this will be an ongoing project, I don't need the names tomorrow, but soon would be good.

I announced next years event will be held in Marlboro Mass, and our hosts will be IPMS Bay Colony, Wings and Wheels, Granite State, and Patriot chapters. The 2004 Region 1 Chapter of the Year went to IPMS Niagara Frontier. these guys consistently demonstrate what a quality chapter is all about, and I'm honored to have presented them with the award again. Region 1 Person of the Year was awarded to Dick Schulenburg, long time treasurer of Niagara Frontier. Dick has been one of the spark plugs of this chapter for a long time, and is very deserving of being named Person of the Year. Unfortunately, Dick couldn't attend the event due to family considerations, that notwithstanding, I was also honored in making this presentation as well.

I also mentioned that before any information regarding your local event is passed on to Jack at the home office, all events must be approval by the RC, yours truly. There was an incident recently where a chapter didn't receive approval before submitting their information, and it really slowed the process down. I'll just reiterate here that ALL events must have approval before submitting to the home office. It ain't hard, it just needs to be done is all.

The awards ceremony saw the return of the Arris and Bill show. These guys were in rare form, and it was nice to see they haven't lost any of their schtic. What was really funny was the way Arris kept mispronouncing Al LeFleche's last name. Al was such a good sport over it all, and reacted like a champion when Bill said it correctly. I took a little ribbing as well, something about the RC winning. The food wasn't all that bad, and I think everyone in attendance had a good time.

The hotel wasn't the best one we've ever held the event at. It seems the facility was/is in the process of changing hands. I had some issues with the quality of the maid service, or lack thereof. And a weird visit by the hotel engineer. But the staff did what they could to make our stay enjoyable. We shared the hotel with a number of other groups for the weekend. Girls softball teams, and two race teams from distant collages were also using the hotel as a base. They were competing in an inter-collage race with vehicles they fabricated themselves. I had a chance to look them over, and found them very cool.

Friday night activities say a cool event where all that attended were given a bag with an unidentified model part within. everyone then had to circulate around, and find the other parts that made up a model. When all parts were gathered, each team had to complete the model. It was a great event, and a good chance to meet other modelers. The completed models, such as they were, were them displayed in the contest room on Saturday. I tell you, i really like the Friday night events. They make for a good time on Friday night, encourage more camaraderie, and are just plain fun!! It's always nice to see the host's spin on the activities as well.
One of the nice things that happened to me was being able to meet my counterpart from Region 4, Kirk Ballash. Kirk came over from the great state of Ohio to attend. Also present was my friend and counterpart from Region 2, Tim Hortman. It sure was nice to see these guys, and have them at our event.

All in all, it was another nice event. Again, I'll offer my thanks to Armand and IPMS Rochester for being good hosts. I appreciate their efforts. I'm looking forward to next year already, and know the chapters on deck for next year will do another great job.

And in the words of that Yankee, General Sherman, now, on to Atlanta!!!

As always, please share this with the Officers and members of your chapter.

Semper Fi
Doug

No comments: